Monday, August 4, 2008

King of Fruits and 'kawan-kawan'...

The durian season is here. Actually, we are at the tail end now. Our local daily published some myths and facts about this fruit and I thought I'd add my two cents worth. Myth or not, comments are always welcome. I am stating what was told to me when I was a child. A blogger mentioned that alcohol and durian makes the stomach bloat and explode. This as in the local daily is a myth. Hmmm, I've never heard about this till I read it in the local daily. Me, I was always cautioned by grandma and mom (I think she got it from her mom, too), that alchohol is to be avoided after consuming durians. This is because durians are 'heaty'. Yes, heat in the body is what we Asians always get cause I think we live in a tropical climate. Due to the heat, if alchohol is added, you will suffer a stroke or heart attack. Lethal in other words. Well, is this a myth or fact? 'Kiasu' (fear of losing) or 'Kiasi' (fear of death), I have never dared to try the two together. Being young, we are very gullible and it has stuck to me since. I am passing it on to my child. Myth or fact, I really am not sure. LOL... Another thing, has any of your mom or grandma or dad or grandpa told you that these durians, they are the 'poo' of our Jade Emperor. Pungent smelling as they are, we still love them so???!!! My grandma told me that! LOL...
Now is this a myth or fact? After we have had our fill of the durians, mom always ask each of us to pick a skin. One that is deep enough for some salt and water to be stirred with the fingers. Well, this supposedly helps to keep the heat at bay and to aid in the digestion. Durian is known to be very filling. Now this heat, it brings on sore throat and that'll mean you will be sick in a few days. I always like this drinking from the durian skin. Besides just eating durians on it's own, we eat them with rice as well. In my house (when I was young), come durian season, cooking days for mom is usually cut down. Right...we eat durians with rice and sprinkled with salt water. This is the time when you are allowed to eat with your hands! Blend it with your hands into the rice and eat!!! Fun time for the kids. The only one set back during this season is...weight gain. Of course, as kids, who bothers. We eat to our hearts' content but mom has to think otherwise. Go on try it if you have not. Another thing, if you have a moustache and beard, do be careful, eating durians can be a messy job! (no offence meant here) :o)
I am sure most know that these are rambutans. According to what I was brought up to know, rambutans are also 'heaty'. I am always advised to take minimal amount of it. Of course, how can a child control? I end up with a sore throat most times and till this day, I still believe what I was told. Sore throat is my cause of staunch belief. Now, is this a fact or myth? Where I'm concerned, I just believed it! LOL...my kid believes it to be so cause mommy says it is. LOL again.

These are mangosteens. Bottled mangosteen rind juice are being bottled now. It promotes well being (that's all I know) the rest, I'll leave it to the expert. My mom told me... is what I'm writing here. In fact, not just mom but grandma used to insists that each and everyone of us eat a few mangosteens after the salt water in durian skin fun. Reason being, mangosteen has a cooling effect. Since durian and rambutans are heaty, mangosteen is a save it all. Me...I don't particularly like mangosteen. Guess that is why I'm always the first one to fall sick. I can't open a mangosteen properly. It goes squished and squashed everytime I try to press, then open. Yes, that's the way you eat a mangosteen. Now, this is true, careful of this fruit's sap. Once it gets on your shirt or pants, it can't be rid off easily. It looks like rust stain stuck on your garment. Word of caution, wear dark coloured attire. Is the cooling factor a myth or fact??? Me, I take it as a I believe thingy cause of the numerous sore throats I get. Remember? I never like mangosteens! LOL...:o)

4 comments:

Shropshire lad and Suffolk lass said...

This is so interesting. I love reading about and seeing what kind of foods are "everyday" in different places. The rambutans are beautiful, like sea anemones. Do they grow on a bush or a tree or what? I can't imagine. They would grace any table or garden. Our blackberries which grow on thorny bushes with fast-growing, whippy stems, are just starting to ripen in the hedgerows. They make a nice jam but I've given up doing that, so any we have go with apple in a pastry pie. Swimming tonight, so easy supper of mushrooms on toast! Please keep the fruit and vegetable photos and information coming - it's all fascinating. Hope the dogs are doing ok.

Bubbles...ooo said...

Glad u like my blog. TQVM. The 'sea anemones', they grow on a tree. Will take a pic of the tree and post it. Incidentally, we were always cautioned about stepping on 'sea rambutans' on the beach. Now I'm wondering what those are?!! LOL.We do have yellow rambutans too but I didn't manage to get any on pics. Sorry. Black berries? Post it. Wud luv to see it. Must say I luv visiting your blog too. Nice countryside pics.Keep'em coming too! :o)

Seth & Tonya said...

I saw your comment on my mother in laws page (you commented on how cute my niece is)... Anyways, i used to live in Thailand and when i saw the pics of the rambutan trees it was a total flashback, and my mouth started watering, but then i kept reading and saw the durian pics and then i remembered the smell... but it's still funny to think about durian season and how strong smelling it is! But i miss asian fruits and the WEATHER, but i've been trying to make it back to thailand for a couples years now one day it will happen!

Bubbles...ooo said...

Hi Tonya,TQ 4 coming by. U lived in Thailand? That's near to Malaysia. Did u visit Malaysia?
So..U still remember rambutans huh. Did you try the durians? Thailand durians r different from our Malaysian ones. Durians, it does leave an impact with it's smell. LOL