Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Japanese cucumber...

Friend of mine showed me a vegetable and told me that it is a Japanese zucchini. Huh Japanese? was what I mumbled. This is from my garden, a Japanese zucchini. Zucchini and a Japanese zucchini? I was actually surprised. I tried to hold it but it's got tiny little hairs that actually pricked. I think this is a Japanese cucumber but she insisted it isn't. End of story. I accepted her zucchini part of it cause I wasn't really sure if that is a Japanese zucchini or cucumber. The Japanese cucumbers I bought are without tiny hairs that pricked.
I stumbled upon this rack with vege seeds for sale at Tesco. Browsed through and wahla...there is one of Japanese cucumber. I thought I'd just plant it and see what comes out.
Here it is, the plant and believe you me, it isn't easy cause I've got to wait a good 2 months for it to bear fruit. I think it may be due to the fact that I have blue or light green hands. Does it actually take this long??? A fellow blogger has marvellous green hands. Her tomato plants has sooo many fruits the sight is really awesome. Then her zucchinis, oooh..is all that I can say!
Oh yah, the vege my friend planted, it is Japanese cucumber! To date, I've got 3 cucumbers and a tiny one (all with the yellow flower still stuck to it!). I'm going to see how many I get by the time the plant decides to dry up. :o)






5 comments:

Shropshire lad and Suffolk lass said...

They look lovely! I can't grow cucumbers at all.We did have what I thought were three in the vegetable box two weeks ago and it wasn't until I started to slice them into a salad that I realised they were zuccini (or courgette as they tend to be known here). We're all trying to get away from excess packaging but maybe I need some to tell me what's what! If this comes up as anan, you'll know who it is!

RCola said...

Beautiful! I'd love to try this. I just may go looking for it at the grocery store and hope they sell it. We have other kinds of chinese veggies.. why not this one? I deleted my other blogs... I have a new one now. http://collectedbyrobin.blogspot.com stop by!

Bubbles...ooo said...

K, Welcome back.Japanese cucumber, they look pimply on the skin n I think the tiny hairs drop off by all the handling. The others, they are smooth on the skin.

Bubbles...ooo said...

Rcola, does the flower look like the zucchini's? I hope u managed to get them over at your side. They actually r cute with pimples n hairs. LOL

RCola said...

Yes it does to me.
I think you have green thumbs too! and I want to try raising this next year with my american zucchini. I think it is worth the wait. You are doing great!