Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Laksa...

Our good neighbour brought over 2 packets of Laksa for us. How sweet of him. Told me that the laksa is the famous one from Balik Pulau near the market. Mmm.. drool even before I open the packet! LOL... Lovely soup. Thick and full of fish. Enjoyed every mouthful of it. Comparatively, I still think this famous one isn't so mouth watering. I still prefer the one opposite the Penang Chinese Girls' High School. The stall that sells this Laksa and nyonya kueh. The one thing I disliked about visiting this stall is the attitude of the man manning the stall. Yeah, I think he has quite a peculiar attitude. One of that 'buy or not, it is not a problem to me'. Tsk...
Penangites and most Malaysians will be very familiar with this dish. The soup is basically fish broken into small pieces then cooked with spices , herbs and some vegetables. The common type of fish used is mainly the mackeral (kembong) but I remember when my grandma prepares it, she uses sardine. Vegetables are mint leaves, lettuce, pineapples, cucumber, pineapple and of course, the shredded bunga kantan (torch ginger bud) plus some red chilli which is always given in minimum quantity sprinkled on top before it is served. The noodles are quite similar to cooked spaghetti. I remember little son calling it Chinese spaghetti and he just loves the noodles. The soup, well NO, he never fails to say this, mommy no sauce, the sauce smells bad and at the same time pinching his nose !!! LOL...
Now this is a dish I would say, is sort of an acquired taste dish. I didn't like Laksa when I was young. I would pinch my nose if it is served or bought home for consumption. When grandma prepares it, I'm normally no where near the kitchen. The way I eat this dish initially was just going for the rice noodles. My order will be....one bowl of laksa without vegetables. I hate the mint leaves, raw onions, etc. Urghhh... However, Big Sis will be sitting beside waiting for me to finish off the noodles and leaving the best part for her. The gourmet part of this is the soup. I don't care. I feel real proud just being able to say this...I ate Laksa!!! I even try not to let the soup touch my lips. Impossible, of course. LOL...
If you are going to try it for the first time and you are not a Malaysian, try avoiding the prawn paste. The black (actually it is dark brown) goey stuff that is dribbled on top of everything. Frankly speaking, being prawn based, it actually stinks. Maybe also the bunga kantan though to me now, nothing smells more fragrant than this. I think this would be just like the durians. An acquired taste thingy. I think I can't go wrong if I say this, it is like trying the haggis when you visit Scotland. You have to muster some courage to try it. See if you dare...trying the laksa that is. :o)

3 comments:

RCola said...

The soup looks delicious! Yes, sometimes the attitude of vendors does tend to put us off. Tonight we are having a baked fish with deep fried zucchini from the garden.

Bubbles...ooo said...

How right about the vendors'attitude. U know,I learnt about zucchini only after I met a friend from USA. She did teach me how to deep fry zucchini too :). Enjoy your dinner. TQ 4 dropping by.

Bubbles...ooo said...

Sorry this was left out. Yes the soup is delicious. The taste is sour and hot (as in chilly hot).