Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Rambutan tree...

Here is a picture of the rambutan tree. Tree, it belongs to my neighbour. Look at the picture carefully, those red and yellowish things hanging, they are the rambutans. Use the double storey house as a measurement as to how big this tree is. It is stated on the web that these trees can grow to a height of 50ft-80ft. Gosh...I don't even know of this fact! I think because I see the tree so often, I never realised how big it can grow. Over here in Malaysia, it is quite common to find a rambutan tree in the garden. The problems one would encounter are black ants, leaves dropping all over and the flowers of the tree which drop all over. Untidy is the word to describe the mess. According to the information found on the web, there are six types of rambutans. The types they are 'Chooi Ang' (translated it means pink), 'Peng Thing Bee' (now peng thing is rock sugar and bee means fragrance), 'Ya Tow' (it is coconut head and I wonder why this name), Azimat (talisman translated literally from our National Language) and 'Ayer Mas' (Gold Water, translated literally from our National Language). Ayer is water and Mas is gold. We say it the other way round to be correct. The first three are translated from one of the dialects spoken here and in this case, it is the Hokkien dialect. Aren't all these beautiful names given to this small hairy fruit? LOL... :o)

I couldn't get a picture of the mangosteen or durian trees. I think it can be found only in the countryside, village or orchard. Will post pictures here if I happen to see anyone of them. :o)
**Note: To get a closer view at the leaves and fruit, please visit this site--www.rambutan.com

5 comments:

RCola said...

Hi Bubbles, I appreciate you stopping by my site http://wvphotoslifetime.blogspot.com . I wanted to let you know I have thoroughly enjoyed your blog! Keep writing! And I am so sorry about your Bono. We keep my parents' poodle, Baby (a boy) and sometimes our son's pup, Trixie (chihuahua/terrier). Those pics can be found on my other blog site http://fun2seepics.blogspot.com. Thank you again for stopping by!

Bubbles...ooo said...

Hiyeee Rcola. You are welcome. Glad
u enjoyed my blog. Bono, well we r coping. Miss him much but...this is life, right? I'll be visiting your other sites and thanks a lot for sharing. Will leave my prints when I visit. LOL... Do drop by often. :o)

Anonymous said...

What lovely trees! Those fruits are really something. Thanks for all the info about the named varieties, very interesting. Do lychees grow in Malaysia? They are available here in the shops but of course they travel a long way to get here. I really like them but T is less keen. He doesn't like anything "aromatic" tasting.

Shropshire lad and Suffolk lass said...

Last message was from me! No idea why it registered as anon. I suppose I pressed the wrong key. Again!

Bubbles...ooo said...

Hi K,Somehow I had a feeling the comment was from U.LOL. A/way, yes Lychee do grow in Malaysia but the lychees that we always buy, they come mostly from China packed in cute little baskets. I buy cause I wanted the baskets. D fruits, others can eat them. LOL. [I've not seen a real-life lychee tree!]
Think some sold at the stalls are from Malaysia but I never ask.
Lychee isn't my favourite fruit. Too 'aromatic', I think. LOL.