Friday, August 15, 2008

Rings or tabs...

What do you do with the empty aluminium can after you've gulped down your drink? Collect the ring/tab, yes! I've been collecting it for quite some time now. I used to lug bags of them to the Girl Guides Association in Jalan Air Itam. I wonder why the Girl Guides Association stopped accepting these tabs. I stopped taking it there after I met this crabby lady who asked me this, "Aiyah, why do you bring it here? We have already stopped collecting! " She sounded so irritated. It was then that I stopped taking it there. I didn't stop collecting, I carried on. Friends who know I collect them will past them to me. Hubby helped too, he collects from his friends at the local club. I think everyone can do the same. It is all for a good cause. For those who are in the dark as to why these little rings/tabs are important. This is the reason why. It is used to make prosthetic limbs. It takes 5,000 of them plus rm3,000 to produce one prosthetic limb. These are the two bags that are collected from friends/relatives. They weigh some 4 kgs. If you collect empty cans for sale, just remove the rings/tabs before selling them. It really is worth the trouble. The Lions Club of Georgetown City is undertaking this project now. The person to contact if you have any of the tabs is...Ms Margaret Lim, Tel:04-2262848 OR 016-4565033.I'm not a Lion's member. I am just being a 'busy-body'.
Since I'm someone who collects these little tabs and didn't know where to send them before, I thought I'd post it here after it appeared in the local daily. Go on, make it someone's day! :o)

3 comments:

RCola said...

There are a lot of people here in WV who do this same thing. My family drinks mainly bottled water, not much into canned sodas, drinks :-(

Bubbles...ooo said...

It is so good to know of this good deed. It started not too long ago over here. :o)

Raymond said...

that's a lot from those canned drinks...