Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Kitchen...progress as it is...

The mason and his troop...they are here...yippeee!!!
Yesss, like any renovations or remodelling, once you see the masons, a little light can be seen. Wasn't I delighted. The equipments, the machineries and all as can be seen in the picture. They arrived on Wednesday right on the dot as per the head mason's appointment. A leader plus 3 workers. They started work straight away. The dust flying all over as they knock the walls getting rid of the old tiles. No dust would bother me at all, not this time around. LOL. I was happy taking pictures of them working.


Friday, arrival of all the tiles. Everything in order? Yesss, as per our order, all tiles arrived safe and in boxes.

Saturday, mason started putting up some tiles on the walls. Whoa...when I walked into the kitchen. Wrong...it is the wrong colour. Aiyeee...how did it turn out to be this colour? Grey tint. Noo...I didn't order this colour. Of course you did, the mason told me. Know what happened? It was the lights the shop used. Somehow with yellow lightings, the tiles that arrived at our house was of a different shade. It was more grey and it made the kitchen looked dirty. Aaarghhh...oh no, we don't have time to stop work. Final decision, to use the tiles meant for the wet kitchen. A switch was made. Phew...that's what the mason and me said. He could keep to his schedule and me...the mess cleared and finished as soon as possible.
Here you can see the mason moulding the table tops. Yeah, I will be having concrete table tops this time around. See the sink casted in the mould. Grrr...not just the tiles were of the wrong shade, my sink turned up bigger than what I thought. Sigh...how your eyes play tricks on you. Honestly, viewed from high up, the sink actually looked much smaller. Hubby said this might be a blessing in disguise...heeeheee who knows, right? The mistake with the tiles, it turned out to be a blessing. Found out that the sales person recommended tiles meant for floors to be used for walls. A better commission earned. Darn..! Boy, am I not lucky that it turned out to be the wrong shade? Can't imagine the wall tiles falling off after a year or two because we used floor tiles for the walls. Hmmm...really time to count our blessings. Now, I think I'll have a few words with hubby for giving me that stare when I wanted the supposedly beige/yellow tiles taken down and changed. LOL...


Here one of the masons working on the tiles. Must say these 4, they really are hard working. No nonsense type of workers is what I'd say of them. Just 5 days and look at the amount of work they have done...we'll be there soon...soon!

2 comments:

Shropshire lad and Suffolk lass said...

Great progress! Glad to hear it's coming on now. There's always so much more to these things than we think initially, eh? Do your workmen drink lots of tea? It's a bit of a joke here in the UK - builders' tea is a standard "milk and two sugars". Or do you mainly drink black and green tea in Malaysia? I imagine there's a wide variety available in your city. Green tea is becoming more popular here now but Indian tea, with milk is still the norm. All the best.

Bubbles...ooo said...

Yes, a roof repair at the start, wasn't it so? Tea? There are many varieties. It all depends on what you are eating. Dim Sum, it'll be Chinese tea, etc... Regards