Thursday, October 23, 2008

Our Builders' Tea...

A fellow blogger mentioned about Builder's Tea. I must admit that it was the first time I've heard about it. Nice joke about milk and 2 sugars and you get...builder's tea! LOL. TQ K. Learnt something new. It's different over here in our country. I thought it would be a good idea to write a little about what our builders drink. Their way of life, that is. Our builders don't come to work with a Thermos but a bottle. Recycled bottle filled with plain water. Weather is hot here so hot 'tea' (drinks in other words) is out of the question. Cold tea/drinks yes and it comes in these forms. See the pictures. This is what is normal over here. Drinks in bags/bottles. The white coloured drink? That is soya bean milk. The 2nd picture, ermmm...I think that is what is left from the melted ice. LOL... Or even iced tea or Nescafe. Something to know, over here if you order Nescafe iced from the shops, it will be instant coffee powder. It needn't have to be the brand Nescafe. It can be any other brands but we always say it as Nescafe. I would like to think that it could be the brand Nescafe was the first to come into the market with instant coffee. If you order it as coffee iced, then it is always ground coffee. For the tea, it is drank either with milk or lime. This is as far as I gather from the many builders that I've seen. Food, well as you can see here. It is also packed and it is bought from the stalls/shops in these forms (as in pic). Just a rough idea. Oh yah, my lunches has been in these forms too. A packet of rice or noodles accompanied by a drink. Yes, that's my drink and lunch in the picture.
I'm under 'house arrest' and without a 'workable' kitchen remember? LOL. Oh...my job every evening when the workers/builders leave? Collecting all the food containers or drink bags that is hung all over the house. Ermmm...do I have a choice...nopes, that's the way it is over here with the workers. :o)









3 comments:

Shropshire lad and Suffolk lass said...

I do like to read this and learn about what is customary in different places. I prefer the soya milk to dairy and it's readily available here in UK. The regular drinks must be so vital in the high temperatures. I once worked with a lovely man from Kuala Lumpur and he spoke of the shock he felt when first coming to our colder climate. Your bulding work looks well progressed and your new cupboards are sparkling! Best wishes.

Shropshire lad and Suffolk lass said...

Hoping things are ok with you. Hope your lack of posts means the work in your house is completed and that you are enjoying your newly fitted space!

Bubbles...ooo said...

Hi K, things are ok over here. Been busy not enjoying the kitchen/house but more of getting the house back to 'normal'. Best regards to you.