Friday, October 17, 2008

Satay...

This man is barbequeing/grilling meat...Satay as is known in Malaysia. Chunks of meat marinated with spices. Tumeric is the main ingredient and that is the reason why the meat is yellowish in colour. Back when we were younger, the Satay Man is always present whenever a birthday party or any party is held at home. My father will 'engage' the satay man usually a Malay man back then whom we affectionately call 'Pak Chik' which means uncle in the Malay language. He'd come with his stove, meat, sauces, charcoal and a fan. This fan, it isn't an electrical fan but a hand fan which is used mainly to fan the fire for the barbequeing of the meat. Order will be no less than 300 sticks. The number sounds big but actually it isn't. The sticks of meat will disappear just as quickly as it is served. LOL...It is really an interesting sight not just for me but for all my friends. When one is younger, these things excite you, no? Well, for my siblings, friends and me, it was always a great joy to have Satay man at our parties. Memories float back whenever I see a satay vendor. As you can see in the picture, the meat are skewered on bamboo sticks. It is slowly grilled/barbequed over charcoal fire. Once in a while you can see the vendor using a brush to brush some oil onto the skewered meat. For some, the end of a lemon grass which is slightly crushed is used as the brush.
Here is the cooked skewered meat, the Satay. It is normally served with some cucumber, onions and eaten with the peanut sauce. The sauce is a bit spicy with chilli as one of the ingredients. If you happened to get your satay from a Malay vendor, you might even find 'ketupat' together with the onions and cucumber. Ketupat is rice that is packed inside coconut palm leaves pouches and boiled. I would say Satay is somewhat similar to shish kebab marinated with different herbs and spices and when cooked, served differently. :o)


4 comments:

Shropshire lad and Suffolk lass said...

Hello. Interesting as this is, it's not what I think of satay! I suppose it's a terminology thing. Satay to me is a peanut-based sauce, with meats or vegetables. I wonder if I was in a Thai restaurant when I first tried it. I do one at home - peanut butter, hot water, soy sauce, chilli, all mixed together and poured over whatever vegetables are going. Very tasty and quick! I love your description of the anticipation and excitement involved in a party, as a child. My Mum used to make a cake in the shape of a hedgehog, with chocolate buttons as the spines. Almost too nice to cut into.

Bubbles...ooo said...

This is the 2nd time I've heard about this peanut butter sauce. Yours is a very innovative one. I might give it a try one of these days. LOL...My American twin was the first telling me about this peanut butter sauce over salad also in a Thai restaurant. The one I know is known as Gado-Gado and it is an Indonesian dish (salad). Could we be talking about the same kind?!
It really is so much fun viewing everything through the eyes of a child, no? I like your cake, honestly. We don't have hedgehogs here. :o)

Shropshire lad and Suffolk lass said...

Dare I ask about the kitchen? Where are you up to now? No more setbacks, I hope. Do you have a kettle and cups in your living room? Fingers crossed it's all straightforward from now on.

Bubbles...ooo said...

Hiyeee,u are so sweet to ask. Yes, we do have a kettle,thermos,cups,& all else in the living room for breakfast and some snacks. I have electric cooking pot too which I've used to boil 2 eggs so far n to cook myself some instant noodles for lunch. Interesting using the pot for this task. LOL...
TQ so much, yes, fingers crossed!