Thursday, January 8, 2009

Balloon ride...

DAY 4
We had to get up at 3:30am this morning. What ungodly hours was what went through my head as I struggled to get myself out of bed. We are going for a Balloon ride. Now, for every VERY EARLY call we get in the morning, we are given a Breakfast Bag as shown here in the picture. Inside the bag you will find a tray of four buns, a little quarter of cheese, some slices of cold cuts which is usually 2 slices of chicken ham, 1 hard boiled egg, 1 fruit, 1 bottle of mineral water and also a packet of crisp or some crackers. Not bad eh?

Young Egyptian boys here to 'send us off' on our flight!Balloon being prepared for the take off.
Yes, we are up in the sky. I felt a little dizzy as we drift higher. I actually don't like heights but then what the guide told us about the sights we will see is enough to entice me to join this trip and to forget my fear.













This is what the fire is like. It is constantly being 'fired up' to keep the balloon up. Gosh, it does feel a little hot when that is being done. The first time it was done, I think I could smell burnt hair. I think it was mine!



Breathaking...ooo they really are breathtaking scenes. Watching the sun coming out slowly, darkness going away. Follow the pictures and you'll see the sun rising slowly. Sunrise over the River Nile. Valleys on one side and the desert on the other. Notice that life is concentrated mainly along the River Nile.


This is a historic site. One of the ruins. The 63 feet high Colossi of Memnon. Many other ruins can be seen as the balloon fly over.








Touched down! The people here, they are pulling the balloon down. It is one tough job trying to hold the balloon down.



Egyptian children clamouring to help us get out of the 'basket'. They do ask for money. You give on your own free will. The one thing I noticed after so many days in Egypt is, they love US dollars a lot. They'll ask for one doorlah. You really can't resist giving them. The really young ones go for the breakfast bags. These little ones, they are actually gentle ones unlike in some other countries where they just snatch.
Yes, the ride has ended. The road we used as taken from the back of the van. Right, we are in the desert. I felt a little sad when it ended. 40 minutes wasn't enough.:o)

1 comment:

Shropshire lad and Suffolk lass said...

You are having a good time! Interesting to read and I love the photos. I'm no traveller but I like to see places through other people's eyes. Very brave in the balloon basket. Again, gorgeous pictures. A ride in a hot air balloon is a popular "experience" gift for birthdays and other occasions. Enjoy the rest of your holiday. All the best.