Friday, January 23, 2009

Cairo again, Citadel and Khan El Khailili Bazaar...

DAY 9 last day...
Nite view of Cairo city. I took these pictures from the balcony of my hotel room. All I can say is it is very noisy with cars honking away. It was our last night in Cairo.
























Visit to the Muhammad Ali mosque in Citadel.















The magnificent Muhammad Ali mosque which was built in the Ottoman style. The mosque is the tomb of Muhammad Ali Pasha who was the ruler of Egypt. He was also the founder of the country's last dynasty of Kings and Khedives. This mosque uses the alabaster extensively.





















































Our last stop before proceeding to the airport was the Khan El Khailili Bazaar. It is one of the most interesting bazaar in the whole Middle East. We were early and not many shops/stalls were opened. Yes, I was a bit disappointed. Anyway, the stroll was kinda interesting. A medieval kind of atmosphere is what you feel as you walk here. Our guide told us about the behaviour of some vendors. How some will say 1 doler (US $) for something they hold but in actual fact, it costs more. The one doler/doorlah is just for the 'looking at' part. I was actually looking forward to this but sadly, none of the vendors behaved in such manner. It couldbe because it was still early. Many vendors were just opening up their stores.


Copper tooling by one of the men here.











The Hussein mosque which is located right next to the Khan El Khailili Bazaar.










Picture of a hookah. A water pipe for smoking.

Our guide told us that smoking one sheesha is equivalent to a pack of cigarettes. Omigosh... Sheesha interests me because it is something new that has hit our shores. Also, I find that hookahs, it comes in beautiful designs.A man smoking the sheesha. Our guide told us that smoking one sheesha is equivalent to a pack of cigarettes. Omigosh... Sheesha interests me because it is something new that has hit our shores. Also, I find that hookahs, it comes in beautiful designs.
Falafel or taamiya as it is called in Egypt. This is pita bread cut in the center and filled with fava beans and lots of vegetables. It is sooo yummy. One taamiya wasn't enough. Hubby had three more packed and we took it with us to the airport. the sheesha
Oh...tour has ended and it is to the airport now. Flying from Cairo to Bahrain and to Kuala Lumpur. I actually felt very reluctant to leave Egypt. Felt tears coming as I climbed into the coach. It isn't just the sights, the people we came into contact with...they were wonderful. Kisses for all of them. Yes, this visit is wonderful alright.
Yes, oh yes, I finally got a picture of my 'Sheikh'! I would be sooo sad if I had to leave without a picture of 'Sheikh'. How I lament. Hubby finally found one and took this picture. Yippeee... Very nice man, my 'Sheikh'. I think he relented seeing my pathetic look. heeheee














Sorry, the picture isn't clear. I couldn't delete it. A last and precious moment with our Egyptian guide as he wave goodbye before getting down the coach. Silent tear shed by many and mostly by my son. A guide by the name of Hany, without whom, our tour wouldn't be so enjoyable, pleasurable, memorable...no words could describe it. Egyptian guides, they actually do their job well. I/we think because to become a guide, Egyptians have to go through a course in Egyptology. To obtain a degree in Egyptology, it takes four years. No wonder. Another word of thanks too to our local Tour Manager, he is none other than Nick. Someone who is helpful right to the last bit.
Picture of Hany
Picture of Nick
Our grand finale, airline food...yuksss... and home.:o)

4 comments:

Shropshire lad and Suffolk lass said...

Welcome home. Really enjoyed your holiday tales and all the info about the places you visited. Bet you have a great welcome from those dogs. Will update humdrum soon - so many things are half finished with much more to do. Comfy and happy here. All the best. (T says the sausage on the plate of airline food looks anaemic!)

Bubbles...ooo said...

Hi K,TQ n glad u enjoyed the tales. Dogs? Well, Mischevious was angry (we think), she didn't warm up to us immediately. Miss Malaysia did which was a surprise. I love T's description of the sausage. Heeheee. Airline food, urghhh. Will wait patiently for your posts.:o)

Shropshire lad and Suffolk lass said...

Just been having another look! I am interested to see the egret in Day 6. Three different egrets were summer visitors here until recent years and now, with winters not so cold (until this one!), Little egrets have overwintered in the creeks and estuaries which make up the coastline here in south east England. Stunning, I think. We have snow here today, so here's hoping all egrets are warm and safe. Hope you've been forgiven by the dogs! All the best.

Bubbles...ooo said...

Sigh...I miss the egrets. No egrets here where I live. You are lucky to have them. Dogs? Been forgiven.Now it is another matter. We are celebrating Chinese New Year now and fireworks being let off ever so often and Kaze is really terrified. Poor baby is all I can say.