Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A Surprise Visitor...

[Picture one, taken by me. I stood on a high chair to take this picture. YES, I was shaking all over. Focus was done all out. ]
I woke up to hear one of the dogs barking away. Went downstairs and saw Miss Mischievous standing at the window and looking in. Got out and gave her a hug. Now, what's with all that barking? Walked to the back room and saw Miss Malaysia there barking away. Now, now, what's with all these barking, I asked her. Then I heard this funny sound coming from the bathroom. All I saw was something long. Aiyeee...I ran out of the room and closed the door. I thought I saw a snake. Ran to the back of the house where the dogs were and peeked inside. Whoaaa me...there is a huge Monitor lizard in the bathroom. I woke my son up and told him what was downstairs. Taking a look at his sleepy self, I thought I needed more than his help. I called my neighbour who was kind enough to come over and help. He tried prodding the lizard lightly with a long stick to try and get it out of the bathroom and outside. Eeeeks, the noise the lizard made, it was so unusual. Scary and eerie. Something like a man clearing his throat and from a reptile? I have never heard anything like that!!! The lizard turned aggressive. (See the picture) It bloated up. Estimate Lizard's size against the floor tiles. The tiles on the floor measures 8 X 8 inches. Eeeks...it is about 4 ft long. Lizards this size are very rare where I live. I mean we don't see them in our house! Eeeks...more eeeks. [Son took these 2 pictures of Lizard in the bathroom]







Monitor lizard finally went out of the bathroom and out of the house. It ran to the back portion of the house and here it is. This area is just behind the kitchen. I took these pictures from the windows of the kitchen. Somewhere I know IT can't get me.
Here, after taking this shot, I left the camera in the kitchen and walked outside to see what the 2 men were doing. The next thing I knew was, the lizard came running towards me. Omigosh...OH NOOO...I ran shrieking and clamoured up the tumble dryer. For someone who freaks out even when a house lizard drops down, that was a disaster for me. I think my screams could be heard 10 houses down the road. The dreadful and scariest thing was, Lizard was trying to climb up the dryer where I was sitting to try and escape from the two men. Silly men I thought at that moment. One was holding a stick and the other a huge piece of curtain. Oh, go away, go away...! Neighbour walked up and prodded it with the stick he was holding. Monitor lizard suddenly darted out and ran for its life. It ran to the garden and climbed up on the pillar. Remained there for quite many hours. I took these pictures of Monitor lizard standing on the edge of my pond. I zoomed it in. There was no way I'm going to go near the lizard and I know it can't fly, can it? After sometime, it disappeared. I discovered it had gone into my neighbour's drain. This is mind boggling because the pipe is so small compared to Lizard's size. It was there until evening. All I see is this tail sticking out from the time I took the picture. I had hubby help to tug and pull it out from the hole. The hole measures only 3 ins wide. There was no way it could come out. Hubby didn't want to pull too hard lest the tail come off from Lizard's body. He decided to leave Lizard there. There were no hoses long enough to bring water to it and there was no water flowing out that drainage hole. The only thing I could do was, try to splash as much water as I could into the hole. That I did and the last time I saw the tail still sticking out was around 12 m/n plus and I splashed water into the hole again. Nothing much I/we could do except to pray that it will finally reverse itself out of the hole.

YES! It wasn't there this morning. Hopefully it went somewhere safe. :o)

2 comments:

Shropshire lad and Suffolk lass said...

Wow,wow,wow .... that's amazing. I was impressed that T found a toad and some spawn in the garden today but we can't begin to compete with a monitor lizard. He's huge. Do they live in the towns sometimes or come looking for food at certain times or was it just lost? Poor you on the tumble drier! Our (very small)native lizards are shy creatures who come out to have a warm-up on a sunny day, but they are a rare sight. We had the pleasure of watching a whole family once, on a log-pile in the garden of a little house set in woodland, where we used to go when T's children were younger. We had to sit still for a long time. What a fright for you, though. Poor dogs must have wondered what was happening! All the best. Great photos again.

Bubbles...ooo said...

I think the development in what used to be hills opposite and near our home drove the lizards out. We used to have maybe one (same kind but very, very small ones) once in a while visit us. This gigantic one? Just this once and I hope it is the last! Michievous was scared I think because her tail was down all the time when the 2 men were trying to get the lizard. Miss Malaysia, she is an old hen at her age. She was excited and barking all the time. I had them locked up in the cage for safety.
TQ and its good to hear from you. BTW, did you have pictures taken of the toad and spawn? Hv not seen toad with spawn before. Regards to you n T. :o)