Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Excuse me...do you spoking English?!!!

Should I put this here? After some thinking I thought I would just for some humor. I was at the bank yesterday and as what is being practiced here, we have to get a number. I went to the counter and there were 2 staff there talking away. It went like this, "Excuse me, can I have a number please?" One of the staff responded with this reply, "No, you can not". I was taken aback by her reply and asked, "Huh, what's the reason?" She looked at me blankly. Silence. I asked again, "Why?" No answer. I then asked that isn't it the normal thing to get a number to go upstairs to do my transactions. I added in this at the end..."mengapa hari ini tak ada nombor?" Oh, the staff replied that the computer system is down. Ah...finally she understood me. Isn't that many minutes wasted just to get a number and a reason why no numbers are given out?
I drove to another bank to do my transactions. I made some payments with cheques. After that I asked the teller if she could kindly stamp on my voucher the date received. Her answer was, "Sorry, I can't." I asked why and her reply was my Officer's instructions. She then turned and asked her Officer. "Tak boleh." was the Officer's reply. Hmmm...I was wondering why so I asked the Officer why it can't be done. It is just a received stamp. The other bank normally put that stamp for me. Guess what her reply was? "You are paying by cheque. Not cleared." Huh??? I explained that I am not asking for the 'Cleared' stamp but the 'Received' stamp. Received means you took the cheque. Miss Officer took a look at me and said..."Same and she continued with her conversation on the phone." Is cleared and received the same? Do we speak the same kind of English here? I can't help but agree with another lady at the bank. The last batch of staff was more competent. The older ones. They have since retired or some have left. They understand us better. These present staff come 'armed' with degrees but do they serve the public better? They can hardly understand simple English.
My friend has some interesting incidents too. She works in the Human Resources Department. This was what one applicant put as the answer on the Resume form to be filled in. Under the column Sex...the answer written was...SOMETIMES! There are some who put even funnier answers. Can you just imagine? Then came the telephone answering skills. One girl picked up the phone and said...Hello, (name of company stated by her) followed by this...Who's spoking?" !!!! Did she get the job? Need I say more?:o)
*** The above are my own opinions/views based on experiences I've had. They are not race or gender biased. TQ

4 comments:

Cheng Yee said...

OMG... The last few lines really cracked me up. "SOMETIMES". "Who's spoking?" .. That's hilarious XD This is VERY BASIC English we're talking about here!

Shropshire lad and Suffolk lass said...

"Sometimes" .... ha ha ha! That's great. No posts from me at the moment. Still on a deadline for getting-things-done. Thing is, extension was built so my Dad can move in with us and there are lots of last minute things to do as he's moving in on Monday. He's 91, so plenty of things to be thought about, as you can imagine. Best wishes.

Bubbles...ooo said...

Apalled should be it no, ChengYee? We are talking about graduates here and it is the truth.

Bubbles...ooo said...

Hi K, haaahaaa...yes it is. I didn't believe it till I was shown the filled forms. Now talking about your reno, isn't it wonderful that Dad is moving in? I'll wait for your posts about the progress. All the best.