Friday, July 24, 2009

Fish in Beer Batter...

Have you watched Jamie Oliver on TV? The guy who goes around teaching people how to cook and how cooking is just so simple? I have and many times on TV. I was recently given Jamie Oliver's Fish and Chips recipe by my brother-in-law. I am one of those who can't seem to get food to taste right from a first try. Well, this time I did and only one try! How nice. In Jamie Oliver's show after learning you have to go out and teach one person. Here I am...passing the recipe around. This is really easy to prepare.
For the batter:
1 cup plain flour
1 cup beer
2 egg whites, whipped to soft peaks
salt
4 (9 ounce/250 gram) fillets haddock or cod, skin on, and pin boned.
For the chips:
3 3/4 pints (2 litres) vegetable oil
2 pounds (950 grams) floury potatoes, like russets, peeled and cut into large chips



I didn't fry any chips because I prefer mashed potato to deep fried chips.
This is really cooking made simple. An easy batter to prepare and my...the batter is so light.
METHOD:
1.Pour all the vegetable oil into a deep pan or deep fat fryr, and heat to 300 degrees F (160 degrees C.) Blanch the cut potatoes in the oil until soft, but not coloured, about 4 minutes. Remove and drain.
2.Mix together the flour and the beer and then fold in the egg whites. Turn up the heat of the oil to 350 degrees. Dip the fish in the batter and fry for a few minuts with the chips until golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper and serve.
Happy cooking! :o)

No comments: