Monday, January 10, 2011

Nice to Cannes to Nice

We stayed in Nice, a coastal town on the Mediterranean Sea located on the French Riviera, between Cannes and Monaco.The last of our tour days and I woke up to see this....what a great weather. The view was across the balcony of our hotel room. Hmmm.... what is in store for me in Nice? That was my thought on that morning. We were told the perfumery would be our first stop.Nearly all the beaches in Nice stretch along the sweep of the bay between Rauba Capau and the airport at the other end of the Promenade des Anglais. (Three pictures above)We were taken to the Fragonard Perfumery and museum. I am not into perfume (not at that moment) so I stayed only for a while inside the perfumery. I decided to go outside for a walk.These berries found growing on hedge are not edible. They looked juicy and inviting but they are poisonous.Our next destination was Cannes where the Festival de Cannes is usually held. This year it will be held on the 11th to 22nd of May 2011.Gare Routière de Cannes, in the centre of the city, near the Town Hall. Hand prints of film stars found on the Cannes Walk of Fame. It is winter. The beach was deserted and quiet. We decided to take a walk along the beach to enjoy the sound of waves lapping and the beautiful surrounding view.
What a beautiful Merry-go-round....I saw this at the Promenade de la Croisette.
This is where the rich and famous shop in Cannes, Rue d'Antibes. You can find all sorts of designer clothing, furniture and jewellery. I forgot about the shops when I saw these flowers on the sidewalk. I have always loved to look at trees in winter. These are found in Alles de lar Liberte Charles de Gaulle, that is a short street in the heart of Cannes. From here, you can walk across to the Marina.Outside the Marina, I saw a stall selling some snacks and drinks. I bought the crepes and churros. It was the churros that caught my attention as we have crepes back in Malaysia. Churros are fried-dough pastry-based snacks. They are deep-fried and sprinkled with fine sugar. Ring a bell? Think doughnuts. Yes, they are like the doughnuts we get back in Malaysia. I mean the plain doughnuts. I have not seen and tasted churros before, it was my first time (actually every one of us in the tour). Some churros are made from potato flour.
I took a walk into the marina. I was not sure if it was allowed but I wanted so badly to be near the 'toys' of the rich and famous.
The view was so picturesque and I did not want to move or take my eyes away. The choice was not mine but I have to as we have a journey to continue.We left Cannes and headed back to Nice for lunch. :o)
**DAY 9

No comments: