Sunday, April 10, 2011

Kefir is like yoghurt

I was given about two tablespoonfuls of the kefir grains to start my first small tub of kefir. Kefir is like yogurt and in my opinion better as it is homemade and free from preservatives. My son eats his with a teaspoon of blueberry or strawberry jam. I decided to follow what he did and it tasted great. You can also have it sweetened with honey or add it to your cereals or baked potatoes and even salad.(Picture above showed the curds and whey. I tilt the container to show it clearer.) Nutritional Facts (I obtained from the web) of Kefir-- It is rich in Vitamin B12, B1, and Vitamin K. The numerous benefits of maintaining adequate B vitamin intake range from regulation of the kidneys, liver and nervous system to helping relieve skin disorders, boost energy and promote longevity. Interesting Facts of Kefir dates back to the shepherds of the Caucasus Mountains. They discovered that fresh milk carried in leather pouches would occasionally ferment into an effervescent beverage. Its uniqueness from all other cultured milk products is the presence of more than three species in the culturing process. Kefir is also known as Snow lotus. Some call it Tibetan mushroom, which may cause confusion for some folks, as the kombucha mushroom is also known as the Tibetan Mushrooms as well as the Manchurian Mushroom (and a host of other names)Kefir grains (grains in the little container-pic above) can be added to low fat milk or full cream milk and left undisturbed for eight hours to make Kefir. The mixture should be left for more than eight but preferably no more than 12 hours. As the longer it ferments, the more sour the kefir will turn out. I always leave mine at most 9 hours (all depends on the weather). Our humid climate is a plus factor for this kefir making. Sieve out the grains from the curds and whey after eight hours. Try to use all plastic wares for the sieving and storage. I used stainless steel sieve (picture above) as I did not have a plastic one available when I first made the kefir. I have since used plastic sieve. You can tell when the kefir is ready when the curds and whey are visible. Kefir and grains are to be stored in the fridge separately.:o)

2 comments:

陈升润 said...

hi, i was wondering if you have extra kefir grains to share :) did you multiply them? i live in penang and would love to try.

Bubbles...ooo said...

Sorry, I do not have them at the moment. I stopped cultivating them.I went for a vacation. Can you please email me (check my profile) your contact no. I will try to get some for you.