Friday, May 6, 2011

She has a life...let her live.

There are many individual animal rescuers in Penang. Some have leased private land to house the mutts they rescued. I did not know that finding a place for Chow-chow would be so frustrating. The people who has these 'private lands' asked for absurd amount of contribution. It was not just that, there was no guarantee that the dog will stay there forever (meaning until it was adopted or dead). There was only one that I have high regards for...Furry Friends Farm. I wrote to Sabrina (owner of the farm) outlining my plight. I needed her help. Two days passed and I had no reply from her. I thought I did something silly. She is not from Penang. Why would she help right? There are so many dogs all over in Malaysia. I emailed again and this time she replied. Yes, she would take the dog in. Euphoria..! She is truly a saviour. A very compassionate one for that matter.
My next task was to catch Chow-chow. Chow-chow is a very timid dog and her days alone have made our 'relationship' even more distant. She had never allowed me to pat her on her head since. We had little time left as the hawker stalls are slowly being occupied. It took us three nights before Chow-chow was finally 'captured'. It was very tiring as I only get to climb into bed after 2 am. I was not the only one who cared for Chow-chow. Kok and wife also helped with the feeding of her and her three friends. As I had to 'trap' her, I asked Kok and wife to cooperate with me by not giving Chow-chow food. This way, she would come and sit at the junction of the road. Oh, the three nights were tiring but hilarious. The first night I only managed to get her eating right up to the border of the gate. I had three bowls of rice leading to the gate. I placed the fourth bowl inside the house after the gate. You would not believe it. Chow-chow ate one bowl, two bowls and three! She left the fourth bowl untouched and ran off. She was smart. (Pic above showed her eating the third bowl.) The second night I thought of a better idea. I cooked her food and I have a juicy bone. I had the bone tied to a long string. In my mind, it was easy work. I was going to lure her into the house with the bone like in the cartoons. Each time I tug, she followed a little. I was inside (the compound) and I kept tugging at the string to make the bone move. When it reached the gate, Chow-chow sat down...and I thought she would be fooled. I was the bigger fool as in the end I had to give her the bone, outside the house. (Picture above showed her gnawing at the bone.)Third night...I got her! I had the gate latch loosened. That way the gate would not make any sound when it was closed. I had another bone and many boxes of food. Hubby lured her to the front of the house (with the two dogs) and 'disappeared'. Wee...she ate one box, the next box...and slowly into the compound. I threw the bone to her and slowly dragged the gate closed. Yay...yay.This dog is odd. When she was outside, she would sit and looked at us inside until she got tired. We took her in and what she did most of the time was staring at the gate. We knew she could not wait to escape. The next three nights had us sleeping little as Chow-chow howled and yowled. She wanted to get out. She resorted to whining when we told her to be 'quiet'. In the daytime, she wandered around the compound or stayed under the car. She seemed 'lost' despite having two of her kind and us. It was rather puzzling but then when we thought deeper...she is a free spirit. She needed to be outside. She wanted to be free. :o)
contd...http://as-i-walk.blogspot.com/2011/05/her-wandering-days-are-over.html

2 comments:

joo gyee said...

U did a very good job!! 2 thumbs up for u!

Bubbles...ooo said...

TQVM. Credit goes to all who played a part in this. You did too. :o)