Thursday, May 5, 2011

The day she lost her 3 friends...

She was lapping up soapy water. That was when I first noticed her. A hairless (bald) puppy with her tail down. I walked towards her to get a closer view and she ran away. I saw the reason she was lapping so hard at the soapy water. There were rice and something that looked like meat in the water! I wanted to give her the food I had but she was nowhere. I left it as that. I proceeded to the spot where the rest of the mutts were waiting for me. The next night as I stood and waited for 'my' mutts to finish their food the puppy appeared. She just sat in the alley. A little while later, a back door opened and a woman threw out a lump of rice. The rice went all scattered on the ground but this puppy ran for the rice and started licking. That sight broke my heart. A big lump of rice would mean plain white rice and it was thrown on the ground! A look at the puppy told me that she was an abandoned puppy as she was not scrawny but was stark bald. She was timid but she was adorable. She would always sit a distance away and wag her tail. When we (hubby and I) walked away, she would run very quickly to the spot we were and ate anything left behind. There would always be a bowl of food for her. This puppy...I later 'adopted' and named her Chow-chow. She was bald and with a skin so bad, even the raindrops hurt her. I knew it hurt her body, as each time it started to drizzle she would yelp and run away. Chow-chow and two of her mates were the last two from the initial pack I was feeding. The four of them (three plus another abandoned dog) moved around together. I supposed they give each other protection and company. When the local council came and took the three of her friends away, I was not aware. I only knew later and what I witnessed the night I went looking for them (I was hoping it was a rumour) was heart wrenching. Chow-chow ran towards us as we approached the feeding place and started yowling...howling and whining. I knew...the rest were gone! We walked and she followed, whining all the way. Her food was in the bowl on the ground. She would not touch but sat howling, yowling...I knew she was calling out to her friends. She did that many times when the others 'were late' for feeding time. Needless to say she did not eat that night. The first week I did not feel that worried for her. Chow-chow ate very little and she would in the middle of her eating stopped suddenly. Then she would start her whining again. It was the many sightings of her sitting in the middle of the park looking at other dogs that made me feel her loneliness. Owners walked their dogs in the park. Each time you could see her walking up to the dog(s). That would result in her being whipped with a cane or beaten with a big stick by the humans. The marks on her body told me that it did not happen just the one time I saw but many other times. I saw her walking alone along the streets in the hot sun on numerous days. This was something you do not see when her friends were alive. They would be out of sight. They sleep in drains and I know Chow-chow and the males disappear into the hills. I thought it would all go away soon and she would be back to her normal self. It did not. She would come to my house and she would sit in the middle of the road. Then, she would start her whining. I felt sad as I could not do anything to ease her loss and pain. If you have a dog then maybe you would understand when I say this...Chow-chow is able to 'talk to you'. I could not keep her and no one wanted her. She suffered almost six weeks of loneliness and I...weeks of helplessness and despair. No one in Penang could offer a little space for this mutt. Some friends told me to call SPCA and some said to call the local council. Either way, it meant ending her life.
She is a very adorable dog. She eats anything. She is always wagging her tail. She is so submissive she always made sure her friends started to eat before she proceeded to her bowl of food. If I give them bones to gnaw, she would bite one and leave it by the side. In my mind, I think she had to make sure the male dogs have their share. I was just guessing, as I do not know the reason for her act. I was not going to end her life but I knew she had numbered days in the neighbourhood. Empty spaces were running out. I spent the next few days...weeks...trying to find a place for her. :(
contd...http://as-i-walk.blogspot.com/2011/05/catching-chow-chow.html

No comments: