Thursday, September 13, 2012

Age and size...they do matter!

When I received the email 'teaching' one how to decipher the numbers on a tyre, it was many years back.  The numbers given were 4202, 231 and 414.  I am talking about the tyres' manufacturing date.  For 4202, it meant the tyre was manufactured on the 42nd week of the year 2002; 231 meant it was manufactured on the 23rd week of 1991.  1991…it had been that long! 
I recently had my tyres changed so the email came to mind.  I thought for the benefit of those who drives/own a car and did not get the email, this piece of general knowledge is worth knowing. The 2809 marked on the tyre meant the tyre was manufactured on the 28th week of year 2009. If you had purchased it this year then the tyre is no good. It is more than 3 years old. A check on the web explained that the rubber compounds in a tyre deteriorate with time, regardless of the condition of the tread. An old tyre poses a safety hazard. 
Before the four tyres were changed, I had the dates checked. On the tyre 2612 was imprinted.  Oh good, they were manufactured somewhere in June of 2012.  Good, no cheating involved...They are new tyres.
Right size-tyre does not look deflated
Some say size does not matter. I will say through experience, yes it does matter...I am saying for tyres lah. (LOL) My car tyres made screeching sounds each time I manoeuvred the car at corners. My neighbours never asked but I wondered now if they thought I was trying to be Michael Schumacher or something to that effect. (I will say...at my age probably not Schumacher but a shoemaker.) Even then, I did not suspect that something was wrong. The screeching sounds went on for a year. It was only recently when I drove on the highway in the heavy rain that it occurred to me that something was not right. Imagine cars smaller than mine could make my car glide to the side when they passed me by. Yes, really glide to the side. It was scary when that happened. I could not see anything clearly except feeling the car glide to the side. A check with the tyre shop told me that the tyre size was meant for a smaller car. With the heavy body, the tread of the tyres was 'pressed' flat.  Therefore, the tyres had no grip on the ground.  What more in torrential rain. Goodness gracious, sure am glad to be still here writing this post. 
Another piece of information, which I read on yahoo news, caught my interest and surprised me. It mentioned that many are ignorant of this. Embarrassing as it may be, I have to say yours truly and husband happened to fall in the 'ignorant' category.  Do you have a car key with buttons as shown in the above picture?  A button with a lock icon and a button with the unlock icon?  I am quite sure we only use the lock to lock the car door; unlock to unlock the car door. What else would one do with it then? In our hot and humid climate, this piece of information is a welcome as (most times) we parked our cars by the roadside. The next time you parked your car under the hot sun you can do this. As you approach your car, press the unlock button and release.  Then press again and hold (the same button).  That will have the four windows wound down and the hot air will flow out.  Is it not wonderful climbing into a cooler car? Enjoy...:o)

No comments: