Thursday, September 6, 2012

Even the hammer call it quits!

One, two, three, four...I was not counting my steps as I took my walk in the park with hubby. I was counting the number of trees that have nails, big ones hammered into them. When we got wind that a park, a green lung will be included in the housing estate developing near where we stayed, we were more than happy.  Otherwise, the housing project would make the area a concrete jungle.  

The trees were growing well; they got taller and have more leaves. When we saw one or two trees with nails hammered into them, we paid little heed. I even commented that some a** had nothing better to do.  Then, hubby pointed out one or maybe two trees that had started to get brown at the top and some with no leaves at the top. Then, one tree died and another one followed.   
Hubby decided that he was not going to just 'sit down' and wonder if the nails are killing off the trees slowly.  He decided to remove the nails from the trees.  It was the second night when I decided to take pictures of the trees.  Some trees have six nails, some have more but every tree we looked, had nails hammered in.  
 
 The above picture showed the number of nails from just two trees.
It was no easy work pulling the nails out from the tree.  They were hammered deep into the trunk of the tree.  I could not help thinking that the person who did this really wanted the tree to die.
Damages from the nails. Sap flowing and big hole
By the time hubby reached the third tree, he was all sweaty.  Sweat was dripping down his face and his shirt was soaking wet .  By the fourth tree, he called it quits. "We will continue tomorrow night," he panted. These two trees have so many nails…too many to imagine.
 
"Why would anyone do such a thing," I asked.  The act of vandals?  Hubby thought otherwise.  He said it could be sabotage against the person commissioned to maintain the area. If the trees die, then the contractor would be considered as not doing his job properly. Are there any more reasons?
I went to bed visualising the beautiful green trees in the park, thinking of the person(s) hammering the nails into every tree. As I fell back asleep, I shook my head, thinking how preposterous the acts seemed and why. We are still not sure if the nails are the cause of the trees' fate. Whatever the outcome, we are going back to remove more nails. The nails on the trees...they are unsightly enough.
Nails removed from just three trees! (3rd night's work)
Even the hammer call it quits.  It broke!
:o(

No comments: